Monday, January 11, 2010

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH MICHAEL MOORER: No dirt, only respect for Manny Pacquiao

By Michael Marley - Manny Pacquiao isn’t the only boxing personality who feels his name has been slandered and defamed.

I just spoke to former Coach Freddie Roach assistant trainer and former light heavyweight and world heavyweight champion Michael Moorer and he told me all the chat and comment room Internet rumors and innuendo that he shoveled any drug use dirt on the Pinoy Idol is total garbage.

Moorer made it plain that he’s no snitch in the first place and, in the second place, he has nothing illegal to report on concerning Pacman.

The slugging southpaw, now living in the Miami area and training fighters for Chris Lawrence and his new Heavyweight Factory operation, said he spoke with his own ex-trainer and ESPN commentator Teddy Atlas just before Atlas went on the air Friday night to repeat allegations that the Pacquiao camp hoped to hide any “dirty” drug test that might arise in connection with a Floyd Mayweather Jr. bout.

“I spoke to Teddy the other day,” Moorer said by telephone, “and I told him that Manny Pacquiao is clean, that he trains like an animal like I did when I was fighting and that he trains so hard that the training is hard but the fights become easy.

“Manny loves to train, Manny loves boxing. It’s nothing for Manny to get on the pads and go 26 rounds nonstop.”

Moorer believes there may be something to persistent rumors that someone in the Mayweather camp, maybe Floyd himself, has cited him as the source of “Manny cheats” stories.

“I don’t know the Mayweathers, really. But Floyd likes to play games, mind games with people, we all know that. If anyone wants to come talk to me, come man to man, because I am not hard to find. My heart pumps no fear for no man. I didn’t tell anyone named Mayweather anything.

“I told Teddy I don’t like people slandering me and defaming my character,” Moorer said. “I told Teddy what I tell everybody, that Manny is a workaholic in the gym. He handles boxing like it should be handled.”

Moorer said these “false accusations” attributed to him may be caused because some people think he disgruntled, upset at both Roach and Pacquiao because of his brief employment in their camp.

“I’ve got four kids here in Florida” Moorer said. “I was away from home a long time. I’ve got nothing but the utmost respect for Freddie, for Manny or for anyone else in Manny’s camp. I am not bitter at Freddie, Manny or anyone else.”

I asked if that included agent Michael Koncz who is said to have not gotten along with the ex-champion.

“With Mike, well we talked. He respected me as Freddie’s assistant and we rapped real good, I think.”

I asked Moorer what Atlas said about his feelings of being falsely accused and maligned.

“I told him, that (snitching) is not my style, not my character and Teddy said, ‘If you didn’t do anything then don’t worry about anything.’”

I am glad to be able to clear the air for the unjustly accused Moorer.

Source: examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment