Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Exclusive Interview: James Toney says Pacquiao Will Beat Mayweather in 2010

By Lorne Scoggins - I just had the pleasure of interviewing James “Lights Out” Toney concerning his thoughts on Pacquiao vs. Mayweather.

Toney boasts an impressive professional record of 72 wins, 6 losses, 3 draws, with 44 knockouts.

He is the current NABO and IBA Heavyweight World Champion following his second round TKO of Matthew Greer in September of 2009.

Toney is also a former Middleweight, Super Middleweight, and Cruiserweight world champion.

One of his defining moments was his 9th round stoppage of Evander Holyfield in his first fight in the Heavyweight division.

I spoke with James about the possibility of his entry into the UFC, his thoughts on Pacquiao vs. Mayweather, and Teddy Atlas’s expose of the alleged Team Pacquiao emails.

Here are the highlights of the interview:

Do you have any fights coming up?

Not right now but I’m still negotiating with the UFC.

So you're more interested in UFC than boxing for now?

No, I still love boxing. I just want to show that a boxer can hang around in MMA.

Some can. You're probably one that can, but the same couldn’t be said for all boxers.

(No comment)

Excuse me for my ignorance but I don’t follow UFC as closely as boxing. Have you fought in a UFC fight yet?

No. Right now it’s just talks. After UFC 108, I went and saw Dana.

That's cool. You'll bring a lot of publicity to the sport. I'm sure Dana was psyched.

He is, but we'll see. He talked a lot of (#%@*) about boxing.

Yeah. There's a lot of competition between UFC and boxing right now.

(No comment)

So do you think the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight will happen this year?

Yeah. Fall 2010 I think is likely.

So what’s your prediction on the fight?

Pacquiao by 11th round TKO. (Mayweather) will make the same mistake that Leonard did when he fought Duran the first time.

What do you mean by that?

Floyd will mix it up and try to impose his will, but Pacquiao will use his awkward angles to make Floyd look awkward. Leonard wanted to shed that image of being a pretty boy so he fought tooth and nail with Duran. I think Floyd will do the same thing.

Aha! Gotcha.

I think when Pac's off balanced, Floyd should jump on him.

But even when Pac’s off balance he can still land ferocious, weird punches that hurt.

He can, but Floyd is a master of the ring. He knows the small twitches and tendencies of the fighters he faces. To me he's a boxing scientist that will not be seen in the next decade.

I agree with that. His defensive skills are beyond compare but I think Pac will take his punches and keep pressuring him.

Time will tell.

What about the blood tests?

Who is Mayweather to ask for the tests? Why didn’t he ask Marquez? Manny’s not on 'roids.

Last question. I have to bounce.

Okay. What do you think about Teddy Atlas’s expose of the alleged emails from the Pacquiao camp?

There are lots of websites that show how to forge emails.

Till next time…

Thanks for the interview, James. Good luck to you.

Source: bleacherreport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment